Another Wiring Thread

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
WindEnsemble's picture
WindEnsemble
Another Wiring Thread

I'll spare you the details of how we came to trace our battery/selector switch/isolator/charger wiring. However, please see the attached image. It shows what we discovered. I can not for the life of me figure out why our system is wired the way it is. I have to assume a mistake, but being new to all of this, I am willing to be educated. So, refer to the diagram when considering the following. Thanks in advance for all insight.

1.) With both the starting battery (2) and the alternator connected to the starter solenoid post, the isolator always has voltage coming into A. This allows voltage from battery 2 to leak into the house bank. Wouldn't this effectively mean that battery 2 is charging the house when no other voltage source is applied?

2.) With this configuration I am unable to use the house bank to start the engine. That is, no reserve for starting the motor.

3.) The charger (which has recently stopped working at all) has the capability to charge 3 banks of batteries. However, only one DC out wire is connected and it goes to isolator post A, with the alternator wire. Shouldn't the DC out lines from the charger go directly to the batteries? Can the isolator handle that? Seems like it could. Can't imagine it (the isolator) cares what the input source is. However, I could find no document that suggested wiring it this way.

We have recently purchased a 10W solar panel that we intend for keeping the starter battery topped up. Ultimately, we'll have solar for the house side as well. Not just a top up charge, but a means for fully charging our house batteries.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. I read the article by MaineSail posted in another thread. Great information, but it does not consider the use of an isolator. I'm sure there's a good reason for that. :-)

S/V Wind Ensemble
1987 C-36 Wing Keel
Universal M25XP 23hp
Hull #705
Coastal Alabama

Attachments: 
AttachmentSize
PDF icon C36_Wiring_0712.pdf111.77 KB
stu jackson c34's picture
stu jackson c34

Isolators served their purpose well for many years, since they did what they were designed to do - they kept the banks separate when charging was not present. The reason they fell out of favor was because they induced a large voltage drop, anywhere from 0.7 to 1.0V, critical when charging. They have been replaced by relays or echo chargers.

Your wiring diagram is not unusual and works.

Was it Captain Sam's recent posts that included Maine Sail's writeups that you refer to?

What is it that you want to do?

Stu Jackson, C34IA Secretary, C34 #224, 1986, SR/FK, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#)

WindEnsemble's picture
WindEnsemble

Thanks for the quick reply, Stu. Yes, Captain Sam's thread was where I saw MaineSail's article. At this point all I'm trying to do is understand. What I expected to find when tracing the wires is in figure G in the following link.

4power.tripod.com/id40.html

It seems to me that having battery 2 connected to isolator post A, via the solenoid post defeats the purpose of the isolator. That is, battery 2 would feed battery 1 continuously when battery 2 is at a higher charge. Not to mention the inability to leverage battery 1 for starting.

My wife and I are exploring adding solar....yet another charging option, so just getting educated.

We will likely go with MaineSail's suggestions regarding configuring the charging circuits.

Jeff

S/V Wind Ensemble
1987 C-36 Wing Keel
Universal M25XP 23hp
Hull #705
Coastal Alabama

stu jackson c34

Jeff, try this

Attachments
AttachmentSize
PDF icon Jeff 1.pdf49.66 KB
WindEnsemble's picture
WindEnsemble

Makes perfect sense. I am assuming PDP refers to power distribution panel. Or simply a bus? Do you have a recommendation?

Thanks a bunch for all your input.

S/V Wind Ensemble
1987 C-36 Wing Keel
Universal M25XP 23hp
Hull #705
Coastal Alabama

stu jackson c34

Jeff, it's Positive Distribution Post, as discussed in Sam's thread. The place to connect your solar panel, too.

baysailor2000's picture
baysailor2000

Jeff - there are 2 items I would like to suggest.
1) Remove the wire that connects post no 2 of the isolator and post no2 of the battery switch.
2) I am pretty sure that your battery switch has a "Both" or "All" setting. This will allow you to use the house bank to start the engine if desired. In any case you must be able to charge all batteries when engine is running or using the 12VDC charger.
That is how is done on my boat. Initially I could not understand why one side of the isolator was disconnected - but I now see why and you are right that the 12V battery may be charging the house-bank when the house-bank become low in voltage.
Regarding the way that the charger is connected to the batteries - I must admit that I have not looked at that yet on my boat - but I will say that remembering the size of the cables coming off the charger I believe that they are connected directly to the batteries.

Haro Bayandorian, 1999 C36 MKII, Sail La Vie #1787, M35B,
Coyote Point, San Mateo, CA.

WindEnsemble's picture
WindEnsemble

Excellent. Thanks again.

S/V Wind Ensemble
1987 C-36 Wing Keel
Universal M25XP 23hp
Hull #705
Coastal Alabama

WindEnsemble's picture
WindEnsemble

[QUOTE=baysailor2000;13838]
2) I am pretty sure that your battery switch has a "Both" or "All" setting. This will allow you to use the house bank to start the engine if desired. In any case you must be able to charge all batteries when engine is running or using the 12VDC charger.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, the switch is (left to right) 1 - ALL - 2 - OFF. However, there is no connection from C on the switch to the starter. The only wire coming off of C goes to the DC switch panel. So, the battery selector switch plays no part in starting. Battery 2 is wired directly to the starter.

Stu took the time to edit my diagram and offer a better solution. See his attachment in his post above.

Thanks,
Jeff

S/V Wind Ensemble
1987 C-36 Wing Keel
Universal M25XP 23hp
Hull #705
Coastal Alabama

TrueWind (not verified)

Jeff

As an ABYC certified Electrical Tech, my advice would be be replace the isolator with a voltage-sensing battery combiner.

The combiners do not suffer from the inherent voltage drop of a diode, typically about 0.7 volts. Like the diode types, they must be amperage rated to match the maximum alternator output.

A couple of thoughts on solar charging/wind generators:

1. These devices need voltage regulation. Extensive tests have shown that both devices can have output voltages that approach 20V in some cases.

2. These devices also need blocking diodes installed in their output conductors. In the case of solar panels, the batteries will back-feed through the panels when the sun goes down without a diode to stop this reverse current flow.

Hope this helps a little.

stu jackson c34

Jeff, TrueWind's idea to replace the isolator with a combiner or ACR is a good one, however, please be aware that one of these is wired differently than an isolator. The isolator only uses positive wires as you show. The combiner, ACR and even the echo charger are designed to connect with two positive wires, one to each of the battery banks and then a negative wire to ground. I showed the EC simplistically in my updated sketch to you.

What is the key to improving your system was covered in the links I provided to Sam, and is removing the AO from the switch and making the switch a "use" switch. This then gives you the flexibility you are looking for.

WindEnsemble's picture
WindEnsemble

[QUOTE=TrueWind;13845]Jeff

As an ABYC certified Electrical Tech, my advice would be be replace the isolator with a voltage-sensing battery combiner.

The combiners do not suffer from the inherent voltage drop of a diode, typically about 0.7 volts. Like the diode types, they must be amperage rated to match the maximum alternator output.

A couple of thoughts on solar charging/wind generators:

1. These devices need voltage regulation. Extensive tests have shown that both devices can have output voltages that approach 20V in some cases.

2. These devices also need blocking diodes installed in their output conductors. In the case of solar panels, the batteries will back-feed through the panels when the sun goes down without a diode to stop this reverse current flow.

Hope this helps a little.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. An MPPT is in my future. Definitely right now my focus is on getting the current system wired utilizing more up to date options.

S/V Wind Ensemble
1987 C-36 Wing Keel
Universal M25XP 23hp
Hull #705
Coastal Alabama

WindEnsemble's picture
WindEnsemble

[QUOTE=stu jackson c34;13848] What is the key to improving your system was covered in the links I provided to Sam, and is removing the AO from the switch and making the switch a "use" switch. This then gives you the flexibility you are looking for.[/QUOTE]

Understood and many thanks for the links. Yes, flexibility is key.

S/V Wind Ensemble
1987 C-36 Wing Keel
Universal M25XP 23hp
Hull #705
Coastal Alabama